Wrestling: Raiders Pin Down Their Competition

Photo Courtesy of Richard Bryant

The Raiders gather before a match against Wise.

Noah Waldron, Managing Editor

The Eleanor Roosevelt High School wrestling team had their first meet of the season on Saturday, Dec. 5, winning 67-9 against Wise High School. Not only was their first match a crushing victory, but their second as well; the wrestling team won 84-0 against Fairmont Heights on Monday, Dec. 9.

The season is off to a triumphant start, and according to coaches and players this could be the most successful year the team has ever seen. Newly appointed head coach Sean Schmaltz said, “I think we have the potential to win the county tournament, and have at least our first state champion at Roosevelt.” Senior Roy Wang, who is one of six team captains, commented that “eight of varsity’s lineup is seniors this year. They’re pretty much at the top of their game”

According to Wang, ERHS has one team to look out for in the county. “Parkdale is gonna be our main competition,” Wang said, furthering that when it comes down to it, “it’s gonna be Roosevelt and Parkdale at number one.”

Within the workings of the team’s success, there seems to be a great amount of interpersonal connection. Kelly Ngo, a senior and one of two girls on the team, mentioned how she has experienced no adversity whatsoever due to her gender. In fact, she felt the opposite. “We have so much camaraderie. It enthuses you to make yourself more disciplined, more coming of yourself.”

“When it comes to high school in general, it’s a bit of a grind. And sometimes you need a reason to wake up in the morning. Wrestling provides that for me,” Wang said, explaining why he has such deep dedication to the sport.

Even those who are not on the roster feel this way. Nancy Nguyen, a senior and one of four managers for the team, explained how during open mats the managers are not required to attend, but said, “we like to go and encourage them.”

The team’s spirit along with their dedication, should help them make this season a successful one.