Baseball Team Hopes to Claim Championship

The+baseball+team+confers+on+the+field.+
Kanice Write
The baseball team confers on the field.

The Eleanor Roosevelt High School Baseball team has a good reputation of winning and plenty are wondering if they’ll keep it up this season. Last season they finished second in the region with the record 13-3, but unfortunately lost the final to Laurel High with the score being 8 to 5. Will ERHS overcome the adversity from last year’s playoff loss? We spoke to a couple players including senior Keymari Lee to get a grip on how the season would most likely go. Keymari has been on the team for four seasons and plays an important role on the team.

The ERHS team will meet the Laurel High baseball team for a re-match “revenge game” on April 17th, 2024 at 4:30pm. Lee and his teammates said that to prepare for any game, especially big ones, “the team needs to mentally focus and lock-in and physically prepare with conditioning” and other things to put them at their best game.

There are plenty of games before Laurel, so The Raider Review asked the team’s goal this year, and it seems as if the team is on the same page because they want to win it all. To do so, they will “put in more work than the other teams.” Lee believes if they want to get to where they want, they should “practice hard everyday.”

ERHS clearly plans to have a good season, as we asked Lee a prediction of their record and he responded “I would say 19-0 because I feel like that’s the mindset you want to have going into the season and I think it’s good to speak things into existence.” He then mentioned how they have already been working out in the off-season with technical knowledge and physical training.

Lee’s knowledge and skills show as he talks about how he is most comfortable hitting “fastballs because the pitcher’s line drives it down the middle which makes it easier to hit.” As for defense, Lee knows communication is key. He thinks “we just have to believe in each other and trust each other to make the plays we need to make so that the communication naturally flows through.”

Overall ERHS plans to have a great year with a 19-0 season and end it off with a championship. This isn’t far at all from impossible as it wouldn’t be a surprise due to ERHS putting in all the hard work. The team has a great mentality of getting things done, which hopefully means they can take care of business when they face Laurel High again. That game should have a packed crowd as for baseball the two teams are basically rivals and put on a show each time they play. If the game is at ERHS no doubt everyone will be there, but most importantly ERHS needs to come out with the win to reach the end goal.