Girls’ Varsity Soccer Defeats Parkdale in County Championship

Photo provided by Inonge Kaloustian

The Girls’ Varsity Soccer team after winning county championships against Parkdale HS

Clara Janzen, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Girl’s Varsity Soccer won 2-0 against Parkdale High School in the PG County Championship game on Monday October 26th, securing a victory that puts the team on the path to a successful postseason.

“The win gave our team the confidence we need to push through and go far in playoffs,” said one of the five team captains, junior Inonge Kaloustian. “We like to take things one game at a time, so that win was big for the team.”

“I was really excited,” said senior Ashleigh Jacobs, Kaloustian’s fellow team captain. “Even though we tend to win county [championships] alot, it’s still a good feeling each time. We worked hard all season and definitely deserved it, but now we’re on to bigger and better things, hoping to make it to states.”

Junior striker Sheyenne Bonnick scored both of the team’s two goals, soliciting the response from team member Jacobs that Bonnick is “amazing.” “I don’t know what we’d do without her,” said the senior.

“I was very proud of every goal I scored against Parkdale,” said Bonnick. “I felt the improvement from this season, especially when it came to the skill and dribbling that led up to those goals.”

“The game was really good, because we really pressured them,” said team member and senior Gabriela Bonilla. “We’ve been practicing even on the weekends to prepare for the championship and playoffs.”

The team now has to work to perform well in the upcoming playoffs, with the ultimate goal of winning state championships. “I think it’s achievable if we work hard,” Kaloustian said of winning states.

The team’s next step will be to play the winner of the upcoming North Point vs Flowers game in playoffs next week.

“We need 100% focus right now, and for everyone to give every game everything they have. Everyone is vital to the team, whether you play 8 minutes or 80 minutes,” concluded Inonge. Jacobs’ words echoed that sentiment. “All of us captains are trying to get the girls to be more serious and work harder to get better. We know it’ll be a challenge, but we all want it really bad, we just need to focus on getting better.”

We’ll see if the girls can accomplish their high expectations as they start playoffs.