ERHS Cheerleaders Stunt their Way into a New Season

Rebecca Aguilar, Staff Writer

The Eleanor Roosevelt Cheerleading squad is back for yet another season and they have set their goals high. Though the squad lost a lot of members with the graduating class of 2015, coach Mrs. Brittney Jones had a positive outlook and said that “although the seniors were valuable, each year we get a new group of girls and face the challenges.” The team is starting early to get themselves “more prepared,” she added.

Students around the school have similar optimism. Former cheerleader, senior Kendary Cubero said she feels “they have a lot of potential because a lot of the members who have strong skills are some of the younger members,” so they will be at Roosevelt to develop those skills.

Despite the challenges the team faces, they all have one goal: to be 2015-2016 county champions. The team has come to a consensus that the way to get there is to go all the way back to the fundamental parts of cheerleading. Co-captain, senior Diamond Mangrum said she believes that the team works so well together because they “have a lot of potential and chemistry,” but one thing they’re going to work on is “laying down foundations.” Varsity co-captain, senior Victoria Haith, similarly said that they are “going back to the basics,” while also “upping our stunts and difficulty.”