Girls Volleyball Team Looks to Make State Semifinals

John-Paul Perrotta, Staff Writer

As a new year of school begins, so do recruitments for the Girls Volleyball team. Longtime coach Eileen Lloyd and her athletes began the season on August 29, at McDonogh School in Owings Mills, Maryland, with their first scrimmage of the season.

“They’re awesome. We got a lot of talent on the floor this year,” said Ms. Lloyd about the new team. Ms. Lloyd believes this year’s group can truly play and is optimistic for the season’s future. “I wanna get it right this year. I think if we can get to the state quarterfinals, we will.”

Members of the team said they feel confident about their new group dynamic, despite having only six veteran players. “I feel like we’re a really close-knit group. I think we work well together,” said sophomore Lydia Jones. Both Jones and junior Renee Rodgers said they believe their team has many all-around players that can fill in where needed. “We have multiple setters and hitters,” said Rodgers about her team’s variety. By unanimous decision, it is the team’s strength that keeps them motivated to win.

As for this year’s goals, Rodgers summed it up best: “Beat Bowie and hopefully make it to state semifinals.” The Girls Volleyball team will compete again at High Point High School on September 10.