PGCPS Request for Earlier Start Date Denied

Brionna Colson-Fearon, Staff Writer

On August 31, 2016 Governor Larry Hogan signed an executive order that required all of Maryland’s public schools to begin school after Labor Day and to end before June 15, starting with the 2017-2018 school year. However, the Prince George’s County school system said in a press release that they requested an earlier start date because of the important role that the school year beginning earlier has in the lives of children and families. “I am concerned about summer learning loss and our ability to schedule professional development and planning opportunities for teachers,” said the CEO of PGCPS, Dr. Kevin Maxwell, in the press release. “More importantly, I am concerned about the basic needs that many families struggle to meet, such as regular nutritious meals and childcare.”

On February 2, a 2017-2018 school year calendar was proposed to the Board of Education that had the first day of school listed as August 22nd and the last day as June 6th. This calendar was later approved by the board, and sent to the state for approval as well. However, on February 28 the request for an earlier first day of school was denied. “Under the governor’s mandate, local boards of education can no longer implement a school calendar that reflects the unique needs of their school districts,” said the Board of Education chair Dr. Segun C. Eubanks in the press release. “I strongly believe a pre-Labor Day school calendar is best for Prince George’s County.” The new 2017-2018 calendar lists the first day of school as September 6, 2017 and the last day as June 13, 2018. With this change also comes a difference in the amount of days that students have off. If a certain amount of inclement weather days are used, then students will have to go to school on President’s Day and a few days during their Spring Break.

There are mixed reactions to the beginning of the school year officially being after Labor Day. “A lot of people are upset about it, and if that many people are upset than I think maybe it was the wrong choice,” said sophomore Nina McGranahan. Junior Long Chen agreed with her, saying that having school start in September “will affect [him] terribly because that means [he] has to work more over the summer.”

However, many of the reactions to the longer summer are positive. Assistant Principal Ayanna Briscoe believes that having the first day be September 6 makes for a smoother school year. “When we come back early we break up consistency by being off for Labor Day,” she said. “I understand the position the county’s taking that children being out for longer periods has an impact on learning, but I believe that if parents are exposing their children to museums, vacations, and new locales, then that is learning.” Administrator Nicole Powell stated, “I personally believe it was a good decision. When I was in school we went back after Labor Day, and even if that meant taking away some of the time off during the school year it seemed worth it.” Similarly, Junior Amanda Hong said, “I have the opportunity to fit in more and longer shifts at work without having to worry about school. I am in full support of the change.”