Supreme Court Ruling Drives ERHS Seniors to Adjust Applications

Seniors post their post-graduation plans.

As many graduating seniors of ERHS embark on the most important journey of their lives from their classrooms to college campuses, they face a Supreme Court decision that could change their path to higher education. The landmark decision has sparked a multitude of conversations and contemplations among the students. In this academic world where diversity has long been celebrated, the ruling has introduced a new layer of complexity to the already complicated college application process. This ruling has left many students concerned about the uncertainties that lie in their future.

Last year in late June, Harvard University and the University of North Carolina made headlines when they both lost the case against Students For Fair Admissions (SFFA). Both of the cases had centered around affirmative action policies in college admissions, with the Supreme Court ruling against the universities’ approach to considering race as a factor in the admissions process. This decision sparked widespread debates about the role of race in higher education and the potential impact of diversity on college campuses. According to Maynard Nexsen, “the Supreme Court found that Harvard’s and UNC’s race-conscious admissions policies failed strict scrutiny, and therefore were unlawful.” The majority opinion centered on limitations, emphasizing the necessity for measurable goals and a clear endpoint to race-based admissions practices in reaching its decision. This not only made a significant impact on universities and institutions, but also on equity and access in education across the country.

As a senior myself, I want to be able to represent myself with my race in my college applications because it’s a very big part of me. That’s just my way of expressing myself and it feels like a barrier to me. Since colleges aren’t able to see my race as part of my application, I feel a chunk of my identity missing. Another senior at ERHS had mentioned that there would be “a potential impact on the diversity of college campuses” and “it’s important to consider various factors, including race, in the admissions process.”

Jehan Idassi, a senior at ERHS, expressed a similar sentiment, highlighting that it affects how people get admitted and the whole admissions process. Meanwhile, an anonymous senior shared concerns, noting, “thought it would decrease her chances of getting into college.” These perspectives showcase the complexity and varying opinions surrounding the role of race in the college admissions process.

Many would argue that this decision would lead to less bias in the process and give everyone a fair chance. Some support the Supreme Court’s ruling as a means to encourage a more competitive and merit-driven academic environment. They argue that emphasizing merits in admissions can lead to a more robust and accomplished student body, where individuals succeed based on their capabilities and efforts rather than external factors like race. An anonymous senior at ERHS gave the tip of “implementing it in the personal essay or other college essays”. This fosters a diverse and accomplished campus where success is determined by individual capabilities and efforts.

While some seniors express a desire to represent their race in college applications, others worry about the potential decrease in chances of admission. The complexity of these changes is added to an already complex college application process. The academic world faces the challenge that lies in finding a delicate balance that preserves fairness, embraces diversity, and ensures that each student’s journey to college remains both meaningful and equitable.

Nonetheless, good luck to all the seniors out there! We’re almost there to the finish line!