Canine Virus found in the DMV. How can you protect your pet?

A contagious virus known as Strep Zoo spread among the DC, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) areas in December of 2023 and earlier this year. This disease mainly only affects dogs and is found in shelters, but this doesn’t stop it from spreading and possibly could spread among all dogs in the DMV if the owners are not cautious. The symptoms of Strep Zoo, according to Fox 5 News, are “sneezing, nasal discharge, and lethargy, [which] can be mistaken for other illnesses.” If your dog is coughing a lot, has a fever, and/or has difficulty breathing, visit the veterinarian immediately before it gets worse. Though there are no vaccines available for treatment, they can be treated with antibiotics if caught early. To prevent your dog from contracting this disease, maintain a healthy and balanced diet for your dog, have your dog get a Canine Influenza shot, stay on top of your dog’s vaccination record, and always do regular checkups, which the Animal Services Facility and Adoption Center (ASFAC) stresses. Although these antibiotics and preventions may not fully prevent your dog from becoming infected with this (or any) disease, they can reduce the period of illness. Who knows? There may be additional strategies and vaccines available for treatment later in the future.