Bye Bye Bao Bao

Sabah Rana, Student Life Editor

The National Zoo has made on official statement stating that their 3-year-old giant panda, Bao Bao, will be shipped away to China on February 21st, due to a longstanding agreement between the two countries.

The zoo and the China Wildlife Conservation Association (CWCA) have a cooperative breeding agreement that says all pandas born at the zoo must move to China before they reach their fourth birthday. The agreement was made to study cub health, habitat, and disease as a part of a program to reintroduce giant pandas to the wild due to their dwindling numbers.

Bao Bao is “very special” to the National Zoo because “she was the first surviving cub born at the zoo since 2005”, says Brandi Smith, the associate director of animal care sciences at the zoo. According to Smith, Bao Bao has captured the hearts of people who have watched her grow up on the panda cams. Joefel Lapira, a senior at Eleanor Roosevelt High School, responded to this news by saying “I understand that it’s for the best, but I’ll definitely miss her because pandas are my favorite part of the zoo”. On the other hand, Rosemary Iwuala, also a senior at ERHS, stated that “it’s better for her to be with the Conservation Association because it’s important to do as much as we can to help [the panda’s] population”.