Feature Story: Ms. Escobar, School Base Manager

Kyle del Villar, Video Manager

Every year, Prince George’s County sets aside a given amount of money for each public school in the county. The schools receiving this money have a responsibility to keep track of and report on how many students are attending each school so that a proportional amount of money can be given to the school. This responsibility falls on the shoulders of Ms. Joanna Escobar, Eleanor Roosevelt High School’s new school base manager.

Ms. Escobar began her job search 4 years ago after setting some standards that needed to be met before she could start working anywhere. “I needed a job that had flexibility with my hours,” she said. After a little bit of searching, she found that ERHS was the place for her.

Ms. Escobar began working at ERHS almost 4 years ago as a front desk receptionist for the school’s main office. After 3 years of answering calls and directing parents all across the school building, she was given a new job in the 2016-2017 school year as the school-based manager. One her close co-workers, Ms. Shenninta Newman, said that “she has a great work ethic,” and that”her new position is gonna suit her just fine.”

Although she is enjoying her new position, Ms. Escobar misses “working directly with the students and staff.” She had gone from seeing large amounts of students everyday to only seeing the occasional student. Another one of her close co-worker/friends, Ms. Jenny Pacheco, said that “it will take some time for her to get used to her new schedule, but i know she’ll do fine.” Ms. Pacheco also said that “she’s gonna learn to appreciate the silence that she gets with her new job as well.”

Working as the school base manager requires her to send and respond to countless numbers of emails, and to crunch numbers for the school’s budget everyday. However, despite all of her new assignments, she said she still “really loves it here.”