Student Teacher Feature: Mr. Hannon

Megan Leonard, News Editor

University of Maryland student Mr. David Hannon is working alongside longtime Eleanor Roosevelt High School math teacher Mr. Phillip O’Dell as a student teacher this school year. He was assigned to ERHS as part of the UMD’s Secondary Math Education program, but other people in the program have been assigned to other PGCPS schools, such as Northwestern High School.

Mr. Hannon said he became interested in teaching high school after spending two years in college focusing on math. He said he “kinda started thinking. . .what can I actually do with a math degree, and I just remember always loving math class in high school.”

His mentor teacher, Mr. O’Dell, teaches Algebra 1, Precalculus, and AP Statistics. This means that most of the classes at ERHS are represented: Freshmen in Algebra; sophomores, juniors, and seniors in Precalculus; and juniors and seniors in AP Statistics. Mr. Hannon expressed interest in those classes, adding, “I’d like to try AP Calc AB/BC, but probably not my first year.”

Mr. Hannon currently works as a pre-student teacher–this semester he is visiting ERHS twice a week for a half day, but next semester he will be a full time student teacher. He says he “like[s] it here a lot,” and that the students are “all really smart,” and he would “definitely” consider working at ERHS.

Senior Sam Levins is in one of the AP Statistics classes that Mr. Hannon helps with, and said that he “is very intelligent, has good classroom control, and can still connect with students.” Senior Edward Belsoi said, “I like him, he’s good.” Because Mr. Hannon is only a part time visitor this semester, he has not been teaching on a regular basis, but will be leading more lessons in 2017.