Breaking News: PGCPS Adjusts AP Test Policy

Nora Stewart, Co-Editor-in-Chief

According to the official PGCPS website, the county has now changed its policy with regard to paying for students’ AP exams in response to protests from both students and parents.

“Since our September 26 letter regarding changes to Advanced Placement (AP) Exam fees, we have heard from many of you expressing concern about the timing of the notification and Prince George’s County Public Schools’ commitment to the AP program,” the bulletin reads. “For the 2016-17 school year, PGCPS will continue the practice of covering AP Exam fees for all students.”

The bulletin mentioned that other financial adjustments will have to be made to accommodate the changed policy, which will be revisited for the 2017-18 school year.

During September, word began circulating that the county would no longer pay for all students’ AP exams, due to budget cuts. Only students within the Free and Reduced Meals Program would be exempt from this policy, leading to protests from many other students, especially as the tests cost $93.00 each.

Last week, the Student Member of the Board of Education, Parkdale senior Juwan Blocker, created a petition to protest the new policy, which now has 1,032 signatures. A rally to protest the changes was also planned for 5PM on October 13, prior to the Board of Education meeting. This will now be a celebration rally, according to Blocker’s Student Member of the Board Twitter account, where he urged people to “Show up and cheer on our victory!”

Several reporters from The Raider Review will also be present at the rally.