PGCPS Displays Countywide Creativity

Ngozi Aghanya

Eleanor Roosevelt HS artwork on display at the exhibit

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Prince Georges County showcased an art exhibit at The Mall at Prince Georges from Feb. 23 to Mar. 7, presenting over 2,000 distinctive pieces of elementary, middle, high school and special center students art in celebration of Youth Art Month, a month promoting art education in the US.

The objectives of this month, according to a PGCPS media advisory, are to “direct attention to the value of art education; recognize art as a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all people; expand art programs in schools and stimulate new ones; encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere; and recognize art education as a viable component in the total education curricula that develop citizens of a global society.”

The county provided each participating art teacher with a folder with frames for each artwork. “I chose work that students completed fully and neat. I also chose work that was a bit different than the others; the unique ones,” said ERHS art teacher Ms. Kelly Holland.

Ms. Holland’s art students Jakob Trangsrud, Nakijah Thompson, Noah Elzaree, Ralph Rosales, Ayesha Baugh, Jessica Carrea, Ann Therese Greaves, Luz Villanueva, and Kai Wallerson all had artwork displayed, while work by Ms. Cunningham’s computer graphics students Beatriz Jose, Kevin Rosa Argueta, Hifza Sarwat, and Lance Jewell was also displayed.

“It’s a very exciting feeling and a good thing to show your art because it can inspire more people,” said senior Ayesha Baugh, whose artistic work was revealed in the showcase.

Computer graphics teacher Ms. Linda Cunningham spoke of her pride in how the exhibition turned out. “We have very talented students here at Roose,” she said. “This was a wonderful opportunity for our students to showcase their talent for parents and friends, as well as the greater community.”