Bas Sets the Bar Too High With His Sophomore Album

Too High To Riot album cover courtesy of www.dreamville.com

Bria Simmons, Art and Entertainment Editor

On March 4, 2016 not only did Kendrick Lamar’s unexpected, beautifully crafted album Untitled Unmastered drop, but rapper Bas released an album under titled Too High to Riot. While some may not be familiar with the J.Cole protégé, he is no foreigner to music. Emerging onto the scene in 2010 after being encouraged by a friend to start a rap career, he began to release mixtapes, and released his first studio album Last Winter in 2014.

His sophomore album Too High to Riot is a hidden gem that contains mellow tracks such as “Miles and Miles,” “Live For,” and “Ricochet,” and hard hitters such as “Methylone” and “Dopamine.” Regardless of which sound shines through each song, the New York native spits the truth in each and every one.

He dabbles in social commentary with “Black Owned Business,” delving into issues of the black community. He addresses racial profiling when saying “Why can’t I have tinted glass? Cause that/ cause suspicion.”

Bas also throws in some wordplay in “Live For” when saying “I’m Mr.Jekyl, I got something to hide,” referring to his hidden emotions, and also using “hide” as a homophone for Hyde, as in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Not only are his lyrics exceptional, but his flow and the beats behind it contribute to the album’s success as well. Featuring the talents of mentor J.Cole, Cozz, and The Hics, there was no doubt that the album would be anything short of exceptional.

Bas is undoubtedly underground, but his lack of “mainstream” music does not translate to his potential. Just the fact that he manages to keep up with the lyrical talents of Cole proves he is not a force to be reckoned with. This album grasps the audience’s attention in such a way that listeners can’t help but to be hooked. Whether you are exploring new artists or just want to hear quality music, Too High to Riot is an album worth the listen.