The True Crime Effect on Empathy & Sympathy

True crime is a genre that focuses on the sinister nature of humanity. It is a genre filled with podcasts, YouTube videos, movies, TV shows, books, and documentaries for the sole purpose of educating the public on the crimes of others. However, what was not learned from True Crime was how to treat the victims and their families respectfully. Seen in cases like Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story to Zav Girl selling the autopsy pictures of Gannon Stauch, let us dive into how true crime influences a lack of empathy and sympathy in its fans and content creators.

First, identify the factors of this effect. These are Commercialization, Romanticization, Overconsumption, Overexposure, and Desensitization of True crime content. There is a specific order for when the True Crime effect happens. It usually starts with Overconsumption and ends with Desensitization. Romanticization, overexposure, and commercialization happen interchangeably between the two. 

First, Overconsumption, what exactly is overconsumption? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, overconsumption is excessive consumption or use of something. 

The extreme amount can be seen in fans’ content and the following engagement. It is Seen mainly with YouTube channels dedicated to it and the Netflix section called ‘True Crime.’ Why is this an issue? Well, considering the genre is focused mainly on the murders of innocent people, it is safe to say that it is an issue. Anyone who has too much of anything soon harms themselves and others.

The next one is Overexposure; according to the Oxford Language Dictionary, Overexposure is excessive exposure to anything especially harmful, Such as viewing crime scene photos, as one’s curiosity improves. Then, actively seek out Autopsy pictures, pictures of the deceased before their end, pictures of serial killers, and pictures of anything involving the crime to scratch that itch. Like Zav Girl, they might use what is collected to make a profit and to overexpose others to it generally. 

Next, what exactly is commercialization? According to the Oxford Language Dictionary, commercialization is managing or running something principally for financial gain. By selling merch that consists of serial killers & rapists and memorabilia such as murder weapons, crime scene photos, personal items they used, and clothing. Consumers and fans of the genre can start to believe that it is expected to idolize killers and these horrifying cases of murder and that it is not as big of a deal as others make it out to be. 

Now, the Romanticization stage. According to the Britannica Dictionary, romanticization is To think about or describe something as better or more attractive or exciting than it is. This is the stage where it tends to make the crime seem better than it was or that it was not that big of a deal, or they try to make it seem like The Killers or the person who committed the crime are better than they are. 

Finally, Desensitization According to Dictionary.com, Desensitization means to lessen the sensitiveness of it. This is the stage where fans and content creators begin exploit the victims and glory the killers. This is usually when compassion for victims is lost and the harmful effects of True crime has finally settled.  Turning the fans and content creators into a shell of their former selves.