Students Say Not All PG County High School Students Are Receiving the Same Education

Photo Courtesy of http://gis.pgcps.org/board_map/

Map of Prince George’s County public high schools

Rebecca Aguilar, Staff Writer

Prince George’s County is well-known in Maryland, partially due to its size; in population, it ranks second only to Montgomery County. However, along with its size, comes many high schools sprinkled across the county, raising the question of whether the level of attention that each school receives from the county is equal.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School has been deemed one of the more prestigious schools in Prince Georges County for several years. Many students from other areas try to test into the Science and Technology magnet program for a chance to attend the school. Consequently, some students in PG County believe that the amount of attention that other high schools receive is affected.

Many people believe that ERHS offers an education that other schools do not. ERHS offers their students various AP courses, extra clubs and tutoring opportunities.

Northwestern senior Jabari Harris said, “Northwestern does not challenge their students as much as Roosevelt. If you’re not in an AP classes you will not get a good education. I feel at Roose every class feels like a AP environment.”

Junior Jazmyne Berry, who recently transferred to Roosevelt High from Parkdale, had similar opinions, and said, “Roosevelt challenges their students more. At Parkdale they just give work, not really teaching. At Roosevelt they get to know you and challenge you to do better.”

According to the Maryland Report Card website, 92.3% of Roosevelt students passed the HSA in 2014. ERHS has the highest percentage of passing High School Assessment (HSA) scores out of the high schools in PG County. This number varies at other schools within the county, but is significantly lower in comparison.

Many students at other PG County public schools believe it is their environment that makes it difficult to do well on the HSAs. James Harley, a senior at Duval, said that “the teachers might challenge you, but the students affect that; many don’t want to be there.”

Northwestern senior Jabari Harris agreed, and said, “The kids don’t work hard. A lot of them don’t care about their education.”