Working Together To Slow Climate Change

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

On August 20, 2015, President Barack Obama commenced a Climate Action Plan through the Literacy Initiative inviting Green schools to the White House to disseminate climate education throughout the country. Key leaders in the education community from the government, philanthropies, academia, the private sector, and non-governmental organizations attended. Including five nature-friendly PGCPS students from Charles flowers High School, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, Gwynn Park High School and Tall Oaks High School.

The purpose was to encourage students and citizens of all ages to take action as stated in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Fact Sheet. Senior Chance Cauthen, participant of the Literacy Initiative and member of the Environmental Club, said, “Each day the problem increases, but it can be reversed only if we work not just as a nation but a world community to decrease the speed of [climate] change.”

Cauthen isn’t the only one concerned about working together to solve things, however. Nancy Anabaraonye, sophomore and member of the Junior Civitan Club, concurred when she said, “Yes, because it affects everyone in the U.S, especially their health.” Anabaraonye said she perceives that the environment is constantly changing and that citizens should be aware of all major environmental threats such as pollution, global warming, and climate change.

Green Team leader Ms. Jessica Stern said she believes in resolving things now rather than putting them aside. “Once those things aren’t around [such as food and water], it will most likely be too late to fix it,” she said. According to The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and Cauthen. The meeting focused on strategizing a potential effort to: increase learning opportunities about climate change; equip instructors with science-based resources; and introduce free online climate educational sources.

”If you think addressing global warming is an issue I think the best way to address that on school level is really enforce critical thinking and really make it an obligation for kids to learn to be a good citizen,” team leader of Eleanor Roosevelt’s Victory Garden Club Mr. Julian Lord said. Mr. Lord also pointed out that making a difference in the community and recognizing the situation should be done deliberately by citizens and students through critical thinking and citizenship courses not because the law enforces it so, people need to acknowledge climate change now.