Pizza Sales Revived, For Some

A+pizza+box.+

Rebekah Chun

A pizza box.

Isabella Baker, A&E Deputy Section Editor

On Monday afternoon, the smell of freshly delivered pizza wafted throughout the basement of Eleanor Roosevelt High School. Students came from all corners, hungry and eager to pay a reasonable price to satisfy their stomachs. However, club heads were confused — hadn’t they just cancelled pizza sale fundraising? Who was selling pizza, and why didn’t they get the memo?

According to club sponsors, pizza sales had been cancelled due to disorganization and lack of accountability. For example, many clubs would sign up for fundraising but would not show up to sell. Mr. Benjamin Pryor, a ninth-grade administrator who is also over the Fine Arts Department, addressed the issue. 

“From what I understand, no one should be selling pizza this year,” he said. 

Principal Reginald McNeill explained that though pizza sales were officially cancelled, and no emails have been sent out saying otherwise, the administration had decided to reconsider.

“The reason they were cancelled was because there were issues with clubs not showing up on time, when it was time for them to sell their pizzas, and it was just a lot of confusion,” he said. “So, we are going to reevaluate that decision and look at ways to get clubs that have been responsible to be able to do fundraising. We aren’t going to close it to everybody.”

Last Monday, the cheerleading team was selling pizza after school in the senior caves with administrative permission. The team members selling pizza said they were unaware that pizza sales had ever been cancelled. 

Club heads have stated their dismay about not being able to utilize one of the most efficient and popular forms of fundraising, and are still under the impression that they are unable to make use of it. 

Senior Abigail Royle said her club does not need to take advantage of it because the book club relies on teacher donations and generous lenders.

“I don’t think that would affect our club necessarily because we don’t need money.”

However, she said she felt that “there are clubs that do need money to exist, and I guess if they don’t get [any money], it would make it hard to maintain that [their club].”

She later went on to confirm that she was also unaware of the new pizza fundraising policies.