Raiders Give Their Input on Upcoming Presidential Elections

Jordan Barton, Arts & Entertainment Editor

In just two short months, citizens will be gathering at the polls to cast their vote for their preferred candidate–Republican Donald Trump, Democrat Hillary Clinton, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, or Libertarian Gary Johnson. However, many students at Roosevelt show little excitement for the change in presidency after two terms with President Barack Obama.

Some students, such as senior Sunni Moon, are legally of age to vote, but she said she feels that the election is a “little off” this year. She confirms that she will be voting for Hillary Clinton, but only to put forth an effort to prevent the opposing candidates from winning.

This sense of uncertainty about the election was shared by other students, such as senior Sheetal George who said she has “no words” for the election.

AP World History teacher Mr. Richard Renyer also said he feels this election is a first. In spite of the short time between now and election day, he does not “have a preferred candidate,” which he finds “unusual” for him. He continued, saying he feels conflicted between a “gregarious” and “stubborn” candidate versus a “candidate that has problems with the truth.”

Senior Alexis Yaculak explained that she supports Hillary Clinton simply because she is “not Trump.” Sophomore Lucia Boltzer notes that although she does not have a clear choice of a candidate, “not voting at all” would be “harmful” from any perspective.

Regardless of whoever is selected by each voter, students and teachers agree that a candidate’s platforms both past and present should be considered in their decision because politicians often “pander to their audience,” as stated by Alexis Yaculak.

Reluctantly accepting this change in presidency, ERHS Raiders commonly agree that with a new seat in the office, the state of the country will either improve, remain the same or decline significantly. Junior Rejoice Igwe fears that if there is a difference at all, it will be a “bad difference.”