Senior … itis?

Jade Washington, Social Media Manager

What is senioritis? In my opinion, senioritis occurs after 12 or 13 years of school when you finally get to your last year and want to just say forget everything. You realize the majority of school is about passing and not even learning. Personally, I caught senioritis my junior -some say my sophomore- year. I won’t lie, I’ve skipped classes multiple times, especially at the end of the school year. While having senioritis, you don’t pay attention to anything at all. Including teachers, schoolwork, grades, or anything that reminds you of school. Yes, there are levels to senioritis. I would say I  have the highest level of them all.

The highest level of senioritis would be waking up every morning asking myself, “do I really want to go to school today?’ or “is it necessary?”. Coming to school late four days out of the week – yes, I do that – around 9:00 am I walk in the back doors of the school extra slow and exactly excitedly. Then I go to my locker, grab my one folder with a couple sheets of paper and go to class. Luckily my first period teacher just gives you a grade and marks you on time for showing up and writing your name on the paper. In the middle of the day, it’s so easy to leave with the half day students to go get food and have them drop you back off to finish your day. However, this isn’t good because you more than likely miss a class. When the day is over I go straight home, eat a snack and go take a nap. I more than likely will get up around 7 or 8 pm, chill and slack on my homework until 2 am.

The best advice I can give someone who claims their senioritis is to much for them or they know for a fact they need to get back on  track is to tell your parents, or a counselor. Make sure you are taking all the classes you need to graduate and make sure you complete all your requirements. Gather some positive friends who have goals to move up in life and go to college after high school. You should also make some friends who will make you want to finish high school with more than average passing grades. I’m sure these aren’t the easiest things to do but at the end of the day if you really want to graduate on time you need to try your best.