Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Whovianism travels to Eleanor Roosevelt

Many students love the British science-fiction show Doctor Who, and participate in weekly discussions of all things Doctor Who, ranging from their opinions on certain characters to their favorite episodes. As the members themselves say, they talk about everything.
The group admits that it will take a while to understand everything if you are new to the Doctor.
Freshman Clara Janzen began to explain the basics of the show.
“So there’s this guy named the Doctor, who travels through all time and space with his companions, who tend to be young, pretty girls…and he has this blue police box called the TARDIS. It stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. And it’s bigger on the inside.”
Freshman Catie Catacalos added, “He basically just goes around in time and space, and gets into trouble, and then fixes it.”
“The Doctor–no one actually knows his real name. Well, no one out here does. He’s the last of a race called Time Lords who happen to have two hearts,” said senior Arin Squire-Wilson.
Janzen replied, “Yeah. He’s from Gallifrey and he’s of this race called Time Lords, and like he said, they have two hearts. And he sometimes wears glasses.”
The discussion also covered topics such as the members’ opinions on the Daleks, which are a sort of cyborg, and the different incarnations of the Doctor. So far, there have been eleven incarnations, and the Doctor’s incarnation limit is thirteen, which means that the series will soon be over. However, there is a rumor that it will be announced that the Doctor has no regeneration limit, which would keep the series running.
When asked how it was possible to keep all of this information in your head, freshman Julie Ehrenfried replied by saying, “How do you keep school stuff in your head?”
Media specialist Ms. Oelkers is the sponsor for the Doctor Who club. She said she decided to sponsor the club because she loves Doctor Who. She said that she noticed “a group of students who had different interests” when she was doing freshman orientation this year, so she mentioned on the spot that she might start a club of her own, like a Doctor Who club.
After that, she started to receive emails asking if she would in fact start the club, so she did, making this the first year of the club and her involvement in it. She said about Doctor Who that “it’s not something that everybody understands, so sometimes you need a place to go and talk about your group.”
Ms. Oelkers also said that the club is mainly a discussion group. She does not actually participate in the discussions because she likes to leave the students to their own devices. “I try to throw some ideas out there. It’s not like I need to feed them information.”
“It’s nice that, as a teacher, you can share a passion with the students. I’m extremely lucky to sponsor a club that I’m passionate about,” she added.
The Doctor Who club meets alternating Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school until 4:00 in the media center. Interested students can see the club’s Edmodo page for definite meeting days each week.