Staff Spotlight: Ms. Amber Scott

Ante Rosales, Layout Editor

This 2015/16 school year, the Eleanor Roosevelt High school guidance office gained their newest addition, Ms. Amber Scott, who is replacing the now retired Mr. McCree.

Prior to Roosevelt, Ms. Scott worked at District Heights Elementary for five years. When asked why Roosevelt seemed right, she said it has a “great environment that is team oriented and serious and supportive of students.”

Ms. Scott first attended George Mason University for her bachelor in psychology, then the University of Maryland where she received her master’s in school counseling. She decided to become a guidance counselor because when she was in high school, she had very little help to direct her through school.

She will be responsible for preparing students with the last names of Bonim- Dawki academically and socially for life after high school. “I want all of my 9th graders to go on to 10th grade and all of my seniors to graduate college and be career ready. I want to establish a good working relationship with all of the students that I have,” she said.

Students already seem to be warming up to the idea of Ms.Scott being their new guidance counselor. Senior, Jorge Cruz, said “Ms. Scott is sympathetic towards the student’s problems in ERHS.”

Staff members are appreciative of her presence as well. Fellow guidance counselor Ms. Wright said “She is a great new addition to the School Counseling department along with Ms. Johnson.”
“I’m so proud to be a raider and to be here,” said Ms. Scott. As a message to the rest of the ERHS students, she added that “even if you are not my student, I would love to meet you.”