ERHS Named Among Top 25 Engineering Source Schools in Maryland

ERHS recently was recognized as one of the top 25 engineering source schools by the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland College Park, for producing “a large number of outstanding graduates” that come prepared for their program, according to the certificate from the engineering school, available on the ERHS website.

“I was just just elated,” Principal Mr. Reginald McNeill said. “We produce great students from our school and the teachers do an excellent job for preparing the students for any field, especially the math, science and engineering.”

“We are always sending students that go into the [engineering] program and we are recognized as a school that motivate students to become engineers,” Mr. McNeill said.

Once a school is selected in the top 25, a certificate is sent in the mail congratulating the school of their status.

Despite being within the top 25, Mr. McNeill said there is room for improvement. “As we move forward, we still need to look at the STEM careers as a goal and need to provide plenty of opportunity for students in those area. ERHS is the best place to prepare you for those fields.”

Physics teacher Ms. Yau-Jong Twu said, “I think it was expected. Out of 25 we can, my guess is, we can rank within the top 10. The list is in alphabetical order so there is no telling about the details of the position.”

“I think we have really good programs here to prepare students… for the engineering career,” Ms. Twu said. “I have heard lots of good things from old students doing well, earning credits, doing double and triple majors and even graduating early. I think we have a good program and wonderful students. I imagine that the engineering school would love to have more of our students.”

Students had similar reactions to the news.

“I was really proud,” senior Hilary Bediako said. “Not surprised. Our science and tech program is really good.” She added, “There are a lot of intelligent students and the courses are rigorous and prepare students for college level engineering classes.”

Senior Diane Lamidi expressed similar sentiments. “It was expected. A lot of people that go to UMD do a lot of engineering and science major[s] so a lot of people from Roose go to UMD. [UMD] is a good school.”

ERHS has been in the top 25 for about five years, so for maintaining the title, in 2012 “the Dean of Engineering from University of Maryland came and spoke to our faculty to congratulate us,” Mr. McNeill explained.

To learn more and see a complete list of schools, please visit:

http://www1.pgcps.org/eleanorroosevelt/index.aspx?id=202573

http://www.eng.umd.edu/prospective/top25