Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Black Student Association Returns to ERHS

On September 16, in room 236, the Black Student Union met for the first time in five years after club president and senior Jeanaya Bertrand and sponsor Ms. Nicole Powell decided to reinstate the club at ERHS.

According to Bertrand, the main focuses of the Black Student Union are to pinpoint certain stereotypes that have a negative impact on the portrayal of African Americans and suggest ways to improve those views. Other topics include increasing college attendance rates for African Americans and decreasing dropout rates. The club has also invited several alumni, college students, and professors to speak on that topic in later club meetings.

Bertrand said her primary motive is to “get black people to engage in discussions about social, political and cultural injustice” and make a difference. She stirred up a conversation about how the media conveys African Americans and how other races potentially view them. The conclusion of the passionate discussion was to better themselves and let opinions of stereotypes slowly change towards positivity.

New club means new members. First time member Noah Walker states that he “felt extremely welcome and comfortable to speak up and share my opinion. It’s a really fun club and they have really interesting and fun discussions so people shouldn’t be afraid to join,” displaying the hospitality shared by the club and its members.

This club exemplifies the true meaning of racial pride and “hiii power,” referring to a song  by artist Kendrick Lamar and symbolizing racial pride for African Americans.