Raiders Defend Their Territory at Homecoming

The ERHS Raiders shut out the High Point High School Eagles, defeating them 42-0  in the Homecoming game on Saturday, September 20th.

The Raider football team exhibited a relentless offense and tactical play called for by Head Coach Thomas Green throughout the game, shown by their 6 touchdowns.

The Raiders started the game with a nice opening drive that ended in a touchdown run by quarterback senior Teke Carlson, giving the raiders a 7-0 lead early on. With the ball in High Point’s possession, the Raiders exhibited their defense with linebacker senior Gustavus Shaw picking up a pass from Highpoint’s quarterback; the opening play of the drive. Several possessions later, sophomore Karl Mofor returned a punt for the touchdown putting the Raiders up 14-0. The Raider defense kept High Point scoreless for the remainder of the first half.

Raiders offense scored three more touchdowns run by senior Mike Mofor, senior Carlos Thomas, and a pass to wide receiver senior Casey Staten Jr, respectively, by the end of the half.

After halftime, both teams returned bringing more intensity into the field, keeping each other scoreless for the entire third quarter with several brilliant defensive plays, including an interception by the Eagles.

In the fourth quarter, the Raiders displayed their offensive dominance once again, scoring a sixth touchdown run by junior Jaharr Johnson, following a deep pass from junior Teyon Davis to senior Justin Igbokwe.

The game came to a close with a score of 42-0,  with the Raiders having left the Eagles scoreless the entire game.

Karl Mofor was awarded the overall player of the game with 100 overall yards along with a touchdown. Older brother Mike Mofor was recognized as the offensive player of the game with 36 rushing yards and a score. Shaw, with three tackles and an interception, took the title of defensive player of the game. This game showcased the strength of the Raider’s football team, and is starting off the season with no losses displayed by a 3-0 record.

The game ended homecoming week with excitement, wrapping up a time for ERHS students, alumni students, and players to have the chance to show spirit and support their school.