Raiders Review New Cell Phone Policy

This year, Prince George’s County Public Schools created a new cell phone policy allowing students to use cell phones in school for instruction purposes.

In accordance with the new rule, Eleanor Roosevelt High School has made a school policy to allow students to use their phones during their lunchtime only.

According to Assistant Principal Ms. Ayanna Briscoe, right before the year started, the school administration made their decision to allow students to use cell phones at lunch to “give the students a right to the use of technology at an acceptable and mannered place.”

She also explained that administration decided lunch was the best and only place for the use of cellphones for it is a place where cell phones won’t distract students from important school work and other urgent work.

Many students support the new policy.

Seniors like Cassandra Custis said the policy supports schoolwork.

“It’s great!” she said “It gives people the opportunity to do things that require internet at lunch, like homework.”

For freshmen this new policy made high school seem like a new world they had entered.

Freshman Naja Clarke explained that she supports the policy whole-heartedly.

“I’m so happy like I feel free,” she said ” So free you don’t understand.”

Although students are permitted to use devices during lunch, they may not use them as radios and they can not have music playing or have headphones in the lunch room.

Ms. Briscoe explained that “headphones are banned for safety issues.”

“It is important for students to hear what is going on and pay attention to what is around them” Ms. Briscoe continued.

Devices may also be used during class but at the discretion of teachers, and only when used for approved educational purposes.