Varsity Football Players Prepare for Second Playoff Game

Senior Daniel Jackson on the field

With their current record of 8-2 this season, you can’t go anywhere in the school without hearing about the ERHS varsity football team. The team is going into its second playoff game against Old Mill High School after winning their first playoff game against Parkdale High School in a 35-0 blowout victory. The team will play Friday, November 17, 2023 at Old Mill at 6:30pm.

Though the team works great as a unit, under the helmet they all have different personalities. The Raider Review interviewed Tristan Doy, a senior who loves football and talked about the sport and why he loves it. Doy is a slot receiver for the ERHS varsity football team and is 17 years of age. Doy “started playing football at 8 years old” and “stopped playing football until high school”. He then went into more detail on the reason he started playing: ”I first started playing football because I would always watch my dads college football tape and I would always tell him I could do what he did but better, so then it went from there.” Doy explains how football benefits his life on and off the field, saying ”Before football I was a little more anti social and now I think I speak out more and communicate with different people.”

When asked what his favorite song to listen to before a game, Doy replied ”Before the game I like to listen to ‘’Dis Ain’t What You Want’’ by Lil Durk.” He loves the song because it talks about how he goes through trials and tribulations in his life, rejecting haters and other people who doubt him. Tristan feels as though this relates to his life and feels as though he has to push through what he goes through and tune every hater out. Tristan is a very great player and also is very passionate about his craft.

Senior Tristan Doy on the field.

The Raider Review also caught up with Daniel Jackson, a senior who loves the game of football. When asked about his love for the game, Daniel states that he “love[s] the game of football because of the entertainment and the physicality it brings.” Daniel says that when preparing for a game, he gets his “wrist and ankles taped” and “watches film.” He is very passionate and looks to perfect his craft any possible chance he gets. Daniel was then asked what the best aspects of football are. He responded by saying ”The best aspects I get excited for is the first kickoff and our chants in warms-ups.” Jackson explains that a typical day as a high school football player is “Wake up, do push-ups, go to school, complete all work, after school study hall then get ready for practice, after practice get ice if needed for minor injuries.”

Learning these things from these two players shows a lot of character in the locker room. Get a ticket for Friday’s playoff game here!