New Classroom Tech Asks Teachers to Adapt

Joyce Zhang, Staff Writer

Following the 2021-2022 school year, digital whiteboards were distributed to classrooms throughout the building at Eleanor Roosevelt High School. Training for the digital whiteboards was offered to teachers, but it provided basic guidance on navigating the device for classroom instruction. However, many teachers were able to learn how to use the digital whiteboards by testing new strategies and methods.

Social studies teacher, Mr. Levy, is a Professional Development Lead Teacher and on the Engage Tech Team. Through testing new strategies and methods, he has become an expert on digital resources and devices. positively on students. He feels that it would have been beneficial to use the digital whiteboards and get training before they were distributed to classrooms.

He also felt “peer-to-peer training” would have been beneficial for teachers. He highlighted how this would encourage teachers to “take risks and try new methods and strategies”. The implementation of peer-to-peer training for digital resources and devices benefits both teachers and students. This model of professional development among teachers encourages teamwork and collaboration and reflects positively on students. Additionally, creating a culture that encourages taking risks and trying new things, as Mr. Levy highlighted, prompts creativity and innovation and also reflects positively on students.

For more articles on how new technology impacts the classroom, search for Joyce Zhang’s column for the Department of Education’s Office of Educational Technology.