Teacher Feature: Ms. Holland

With the start of the new school year, Eleanor Roosevelt High School welcomes former intern Ms. Kelly Holland as a full time teacher in Art Education. This year Ms. Holland will be teaching Art 1, a class open to all grade levels at ERHS.

Ms. Holland enjoys teaching her own class. “I like it a lot and I’m glad I know some of the kids from last year,” she said.

A recent graduate of the University of Maryland, Ms. Holland received a degree in art education and has also studied graphic design at Salisbury University. She was happy to begin working at Eleanor Roosevelt High, as she is already familiar with the school and can continue to work with Mrs. Becky Rounds, an art teacher with whom she interned last year.

“With her background and education she brings a lot of energy and fun,” said Mrs. Rounds.

Describing teaching art as “something different” Ms. Holland smiled, explaining that “it allows students to express themselves.”

Her students from last year and her current students admire her teaching.

“Ms. Holland is super cool and she keeps her classroom very organized,” said Junior William Nguyen. “I’ve only had her class for about a week, but that class holds some promise.”

Junior Elizabeth Troiano shares the same views as Nguyen and describes Ms.Holland as “very dedicated” towards her students, making sure they grow in their character as well as their artistic ability.

Troiano continued talking about how much she loves the class. “I love how there are no concrete rules about what you make. There are no mistakes and everyone is very supportive and objective of others’ creations.”

Ms. Holland is also sponsoring the Art Club this year and encouraged students to come out to the first meeting on Thursday, September 11th.