Two Boys Kissing: Definitely one of the best books of 2013

“You can’t know what it is like for us now—you will always be one step behind.

“Be thankful for that.”

These are the words that start off the book Two Boys Kissing, written by David Levithan. Narrated in a very particular way, Two Boys Kissing tells the stories of a wide range of characters, from Harry and Craig, who are hoping to set the Guinness World Record for the world’s longest kiss, to Cooper, a boy who spends all his time on his phone and computer, flirting with strangers in the hope that he feels something.

There are also Peter and Neil, who spend their time simply enjoying each other’s company as a couple. There’s Tariq, who escapes to the city at night, mapping out who he’s going to be as he lays out his clothes. And then there are Avery and Ryan, one pink-haired and one blue-haired, who are hoping that their meeting at a gay prom will actually lead to something.

That’s a lot of main characters for one book, but Levithan pulls it off beautifully. As he reveals their stories to the reader, they see it through the eyes of the previous generation of gay men, many of which died from AIDS. As more of the characters are shown, the reader sees more of the narrators as well; gaining insight into what life was like for them. The unique narration adds so much to the story, and it’s one reason this book is so special.

But this isn’t the only great thing about Two Boys Kissing, not by a long shot. Each of the characters is drawn believably and originally; each is special in his own way. Tariq’s passion is music. He falls asleep with it playing in his ears. Neil’s parents know that he’s gay, but it’s not something that’s talked about. The word “boyfriend” is never spoken. And Cooper is retreating further and further into himself, as the world seems more and more dead.

Apart from the narration, another thing that really struck me about this book is the writing itself, which is at the forefront of the book; it’s what sticks out as one of the book’s main virtues. Even considered separately from the plot and the characters, Levithan’s writing is fantastic. He puts the stories he is trying to tell into the kind of language that can make a reader want to cry, simply because it is so beautiful. Even the way he describes things is great, such as when he writes that Tariq “treats his body like it’s made of fireworks, each one timed to the beat.” He articulates the events — and the narrators’ comments — masterfully. It’s good, good, good writing.

Two Boys Kissing was definitely one of the best books published in 2013. It’s full of emotion, talent, and captures the breadth of its characters’ stories adeptly. And it has what is perhaps one of the best marks of a great book: It stays with you.