Students’ Take on Student Protests

In this political climate, many people who have previously never been involved in their local, state, or national governments are becoming increasingly involved in protests, talking to representatives, and sharing information. Many of these people happen to be students. Students, especially high-schoolers, are often overlooked in politics because they do not have the same issues as adults such as finding a job, child support, healthcare, etc. Many do not even file their own taxes yet. High school students can’t even vote, so what can they do?

While many people may think that getting involved in politics at a young age is a waste of time, or criticize those who do it because they don’t think it should be a priority, others believe getting involved is the best thing you can do to make change.

High school senior from Anne Arundel County Josee Molavi says she got involved in politics at the age of 15. She started working with Young Democrats of Maryland after taking AP Government, and later also joined High School Democrats of Maryland, where she is now the chair. She says she believes it is important to “dismantle the myth that teenagers don’t care or are apathetic about politics, because we can effect real change in our communities, on the local level as well as on the state and national level.”

Hartford County high school senior Abigail Corona says she thinks “a lot of people underestimate what young people can do to affect policy.” She says students should be aware that “these adults do want to listen to you and hear your opinion, and by getting involved you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of contributing to your community.”

Baltimore County high school senior Jason Fontelou says he thinks youth involvement in politics is “extremely important, and is extremely underestimated by older generations”, and dismisses the argument that since “‘we cant vote it doesn’t matter’, it does matter, the decisions being made in government right now are going to affect our generation so its important for us to stay active, stay involved, and stay loud.”

Molavi says that rallys and protests are great way to become involved because “they are really accessible to a lot of people who may not know how else to get involved.” Corona says she respects that no matter what you believe, and no matter you support, standing up for what you believe in is a fundamental first amendment right that not a lot of of other places have.  She recommends you “remember that you are lucky to be in a place where you are allowed to protest, so by all means, stand up for what you believe in”. Fontelou understands why there are safety concerns surrounding protests, but says he has been to protests and has “never felt unsafe, the people who go to protests are all of a similar mindset, and are all there for similar reasons.”