Science Fair Impaired by Background Checks

Megan Leonard, News Editor

At Eleanor Roosevelt High School, all 10th and 12th graders (and a few ambitious juniors) in the Science and Technology Program participate in Science Fair. In past years, all Science Fair participants missed 1st, 2nd, and 8th period, with a potential to miss 3rd-6th if their project was being considered for an award. They were excused from class to stand in front of their board and wait to be judged. As judges walked around the gym, the students would present their board in order to practice presentation and to better explain their project.

Due to new strict policies regarding background checks for PGCPS volunteers, the ERHS Science Fair could not get enough judges to ensure that every student got judged in person at least once. Instead, judges will walk around and view the boards without students presenting them, and if the student’s project qualifies them for a second round interview, they will be called in.

Science Fair Coordinator and teacher Mrs. Jennifer Morgenthaler explained that the county wouldn’t give the judges the waiver that they usually get, which allows them to judge without the full background check. Typically, ERHS’s science fair has about 120 judges, and this year, there will only be 46. The minimum number of judges required to run Science Fair is 40. The decision the county made about background checks will be evaluated this summer.

Senior Kyra Chambers, who has participated in Science Fair in the past said, “I think the judging is going to change because now it’s more about what your board looks like and not your project.” Sophomore Joseph Leynes, however, said he is happy about the change because “I don’t have to go to the gym and meet judges.” He said he’s not worried about how it will affect judging because “if they really want me, they’ll just pull me out.” Similarly, senior Christina Duong says she “was looking forward to skipping first period,” but does not think it will affect the judging.