Girl’s Basketball Game Against Wise

Sabah Rana, Student Life Editor

Roosevelt’s girl’s basketball team played against Wise on Friday December 16. Roosevelt’s team had to forfeit two games during the 2015-2016 season because of a practice that took place at Bowie City gym because of snow outside,  which Suitland High School’s coach called an illegal practice. It was called an illegal practice because it was technically unscheduled and at a different location. The team had already won against Wise earlier in the season, but because of the forfeit, Wise bumped Roosevelt out of the #1 spot in the county.

Despite what happened last season, the team showed that they didn’t view this game any differently. Senior Sheyenne Bonnick, who has been on the team for two years, said “This game is just another regular season game in which we have to come out strong from the beginning and decide if we are the better team by the way we play”, even though they “all understand what happened last season is in the past..it is still a huge reminder that things could’ve ended differently”.  This sentiment was shared by senior Inonge Kaloustian, a member of the basketball team since freshman year and joined varsity junior year, who said “I wouldn’t say that event in particular has an effect on us now; that’s in the past and this is a new season. I think we’re all excited and ready for the game because it’s always competitive when we play Wise”.

During Friday’s game, Roosevelt’s girl’s basketball team won against Wise with a score of 62-57. Octavia Wilson, who has been on the varsity team for 4 years, said “We as a team felt really confident in the game Friday, even after we were still down at the half. I feel like we were mentally prepared more knowing what we had to do and how we went out last year”.