Student Feature: Edmund Obeng

Edmund+Obeng.

Anais Assi

Edmund Obeng.

Ratrell Ray, Cartoonist and Staff Writer

Edmund Obeng, a senior, is the president/co-president of four clubs at Eleanor Roosevelt High School: The Junior State of America (JSA), the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), the Junior Classical League (JCL), and Philosophy Club.

In JSA, members discuss and debate politics. When asked about the diversity of political views in his club, Edmund acknowledged that Maryland is a blue state and the majority of the members are democratic, but said that when it comes down to the specifics of their discussions, there are a wide range of views. “It gets intense,” he explained. “It’s bound to get heated sometimes.” In one of his other clubs, the Future Business Leaders of America, members emulate big businesses and analyze accounting and business law.

In the club Starting Philosophers, Edmund, who is co-president, aims to put people in an environment where they can try to answer the big questions of life. Club members will also study big name philosophers in order to help them develop their own perspectives. . However, Edmund wasn’t always interested in philosophy. It started in the 8th grade, where he attended the catholic school St. Mary of the Mills School, causing him to raise several theological questions. Then Edmund came across the book History of Western Philosophy, which he said opened his mind and initiated what he described as the “ongoing fight of how we live and why we live.” The club is planning on starting it’s first meeting next Thursday, December 8th.

For Edmund, being in charge of four clubs is a challenge. “It’s hard sometimes,” he said, but he still feels as though there is “a lot of reward to it.” Considering all of the things he is involved in, Senior William Song said that “he is humble” and “easy to hang out with and talk to.”

“He’s a good guy,” said senior Natalia Miller. She added that when you consider all of his responsibilities, even he “needs a chill pill sometimes.”

Edmund has always been ambitious in his extracurricular endeavors, co-founding JSA sophomore year, but this is his first year having as many responsibilities as he does now. Juggling four clubs and keeping up with his schoolwork is difficult but Edmund made a point to put school above all else. He said it’s necessary for him to “set an example and show his academic ability first and foremost.”

So what’s next for Edmund after high school? When asked if he will continue to be ambitious and take on a wide range of leadership roles he said “of course, being in a college setting I’ll have more time to do the things I want” and there will be “more opportunities to seize upon in college.”