Teacher Feature: Ms. Benliza-Ray

Dionne Dean, Sports Editor

A teacher, a mentor, and a mother–Ms. Dierdra Benliza-Ray has been a teacher for nine years and is currently a ninth grade English teacher at Eleanor Roosevelt High School.

“I did not plan on becoming a teacher,” Ms. Benliza-Ray said. “When I was in high school I prepared to become a cosmetologist. In college I made plans to work for BET.” She continued to say, “I became a teacher in 2002, after taking a job as a literary liaison.”

This is where her journey began, but it doesn’t just end there. With 9 years experience in teaching and a masters in education, Ms. Benliza-Ray has taught sixth through eighth grade English in addition to ninth grade English. She said she receives her drive and inspiration mostly from her students, explaining, “I am very inspired to teach and continue to teach by the students who tell me that they’ve learned something in my class or previous students who visit me and tell me that they are finding success.”

One such former student of Ms. Benliza-Ray is junior Rodney Pennington, who said, “Ms. Benliza-Ray is like a mother to me; I’ve always had a major connection to her. If I’m down she’s there to pick me up. I feel I could come to her and talk about anything. If I need help she will be there to give a helping hand, she never closes her door or turns her back on a student. That’s what I love most about her.”

In addition to being a full time teacher, Ms. Benliza-Ray is also a mother raising two sons, 12-year-old Amare Ray  and 8-year-old Donovan Ray. Trying to balance being a family woman and a professional, Ms. Benliza-Ray juggles sport events, family outings, and school events, as well as being the sponsor for the ERHS class of 2020. She said, “It’s very hard to find balance, especially since my children are young and active in school. I try to make time for myself and family by limiting the work I take home with me. That isn’t always possible though.” Even though balancing her roles as a mother and teacher isn’t the easiest, she said she is still “very motivated,” and plans on remaining a teacher at ERHS for awhile.