ERHS Sapphire Silk Color Guard

This school year, in addition to the cheerleaders and pep band performing at home games, Color guard will now join the two, during the football and basketball seasons.

Color Guard is a club, in which its members spin and twirl flags along with their selection of music, beats, and rhythm that accompany the music.

“Some people think its easy.” said Mrs. Dierdra Benliza-Ray, coach and sponsor of the activity. “But they don’t know about the technique behind the spinning. It’s hard but doable.”

Captain, Leah Aclin, a senior who’s a member of the club, agrees. She said, “A lot of people can underestimate how hard it can be”

Color Guard requires a possession of an athletic skill set.  One has to be precise and attentive, able to keep with the hand movements along with the rest of the group.

“It’s very important to stay on rhythm with the beat. There’s lots of counting involved and it’s really fast paced” says, Mrs. Benliza-Ray.

To do color guard the person has to be a fast learner, able to pick up the moves quickly. The members of the club agree with the fact that the club is hard at first and that it takes lots of effort and dedication because the moves can be complicated at times.  For junior Kyra Samuda, the moves can be somewhat difficult to remember. “It took me time to remember all of the moves, but I kept on practicing.” Kyra said.

“It takes work, but the effort is worth it. It’s fun when you finally get to perform.” Hard work and practice is essential because the club spends a lot of time trying to perfect the routine and the moves.

Sophomore, Victoria Pelt mentions “once we are introduced to a new routine, we spend 2-3 weeks perfecting it and we have to practice at home too.”

Despite all of the hardships that come along the club, most of the members say they have fun.

For Samantha Hernandez, a sophomore, it’s more about the people. “It’s fun because it keeps the mind busy. And you get to learn precision.” She said. “I like the group. The people are funny, we joke around and we all have our moments. But we can also get serious when needed.” Victoria Pelt thinks its fun because she gets to be with her friends. “I like it because my friends are here with me.”

And Ms. Benliza-Ray agrees. “I think its fun because you get to learn new skills and meet new people” she said, “I did Color Guard myself in High School and even in College at South Carolina State.”