Raiders Reign Victorious over High Point Eagles

On Friday, September 20, the Raider football team beat the High Point Eagles 39-0 in their 7 p.m. game at High Point High School.

This was a great comeback for the Raiders, who fell to Gwynn Park and to Suitland in the first two games of the season.

Coach Thomas Green said that in previous games, “the boys played tough … but we didn’t do enough to win.”

Before the game, defensive Coach Chris Riley said “We’ve made a lot of adjustments, and had a lot of practice, and we are ready to redeem ourselves.”

As the game started, Roosevelt showed a tremendous amount of energy, and put up points on the scoreboard almost immediately.

Coach Green said the team “finally played a game without 4 or 5 turnovers, we worked hard, we were very disappointed last week, but the kids fought hard today.”

Indeed the Raiders did fight hard to disappoint the previously 2-0 Eagles, and the coaches were proud of the team’s improvements.

Coach Chris Riley was also proud of his team, and said “the kids redeemed their selves, had a lot of mental errors last games, but they handled business, and played a good game.”

Coaches and players alike felt that the game served as redemption for the beginning of the season.

“We performed well,” said Fullback Mike Ryan Mofor, “this is the way we should have started our season… This is just a preview of what’s to come.” Mofor believed they “redeemed themselves” but that they still have a long way to go and improve “offensively by scoring more, and executing more on defense.”

Linebacker Samuel Raymond said the team played well, but that there is “always room for improvement…” and continued that “mistakes can always be corrected, and just do what we do best.”