Softball: Raiders’ Bats Too Much For Bulldogs

Esther Tanyi

Senior Nora Snyder bats in the Raiders game against Bowie.

Esther Tanyi, Staff Writer

On Wednesday April 6th, Eleanor Roosevelt’s varsity softball team won by a score of 18-0 in a home game against its rival, Bowie High School. Before the game, a few players expressed their feelings going into the game.

Senior right fielder Morgan Ottley expressed that she was “excited” about the game and “not at all” threatened by the intensity of the game. “It’s exciting because it’s the rivalry.”

Senior Kayla Opsahl shared the same mindset as her teammate Morgan Ottley when she said “I’m not threatened” by Bowie High School’s softball team. “I feel like we have a really good team this year[and] I just hope the team plays well” she continued. Opsahl said she was ready and “can’t wait” to play against Bowie High School. 

Junior pitcher Renee Rogers added that “ the team is looking good” and she felt “confident” going into the game.

Sophomore catcher Lauren Brooks gave her team the first run of the game by hitting a home run  Brooks didn’t just stop there, later on in the game she added to the run total by hitting another incredible home run. The game “was great, I did great; two home runs, we beat Bowie.” Brooks said. She added that “the team did great and Renee pitched a great game”

Junior centerfielder Rebecca Lorente also sparked the Raiders’ offense. Referring to the game Lorente said “I think we could’ve done better” despite the score. “We had a couple of errors towards the end but I think our hitting was pretty decent” she said. Though she said she did “really well” in the game, Lorente admitted though that looking back at the game, her “baserunning [and] sliding” needs some improvement.

Senior left fielder Claire Mudd said “it was really good we won, none of our starters made any errors so we’re heading in the right direction” Mudd added that she thinks the team is  “doing really well. We haven’t really had many errors the last two games so I think if we just keep doing that we will be fine”. Referring to Bowie High school Mudd said “In PG County, they’re probably our biggest competition. I think that as long as we play like we always do, we are not going to have a problem with them.” Mudd concluded.

Confident in her performance in the game, Rogers said she “pitched a really good game.” The game “went really well, better than expected. Bowie is always competitive but this year we’re just a better team.” Rogers concluded.

This humble yet optimistic attitude should serve the team well as they look to continue their dominance in county and then move on to the playoffs.