Polls

Who do you think will win the 2024 Superbowl?

• Chiefs (50%, 69 Votes)
  • 49ers (28%, 39 Votes)
  • Ravens (20%, 27 Votes)
  • Lions (1%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 137

Loading ... Loading ...

Boy’s Basketball Season Wrap-up

After a season full of hard-fought victories, the ERHS Boys’ basketball team achieved their ultimate goal in helping head coach Brendan O’Connell win his first state championship by defeating the Magruder Colonels 61-56 in a rematch of the 2012 state championship game. The Raiders’ victory brings a state championship to Roosevelt for the first time since 2002.

The 2012-13 squad was led back to Comcast Center by a senior starting five of  Malachi Alexander, Jesse Ason, Tiwian Kendley, Trevor Evans, and Emmanuel Matey, with major contributions from sixth-man Lerenzo Foote.

“It was a very productive season,” said Foote, “From start to finish everybody contributed their part. And to finish the season with a state championship made it even better.”

Backed by a raucous student section, the Raiders finished the season 27-1, punctuated by escapes against Duval and Wise early in the season. The only blemish on the Raiders’ record came in a 60-55 regular season loss to Bowie. Following the Bowie loss, the Raiders swept the remainder of their regular season slate, setting up a matchup with Potomac in the county championship. ERHS emerged from that matchup with a 69-67 win on a buzzer-beating dunk by senior forward Malachi Alexander, sending the Raiders into the playoffs with tremendous momentum.

“As a team, we accomplished all of our goals,” reflected Alexander. “I was able to do whatever my team needed me to do in order for us to win.”

The Raiders’ winning ways continued, as they triumphed in a hotly contested regional championship game 56-55 against Henry Wise High School in front of a packed Roosevelt gymnasium, propelling the Raiders into the state tournament.

Roosevelt then proceeded to go 2-0 at Comcast Center, defeating North Point 61-58 to advance to the 4A state finals, and then defeating Magruder 61-56 to allow the Raiders to hoist the championship trophy for the first time in 11 years.

“Great season overall,” said senior forward Jesse Ason. “Got a lot better as the season went along. We matured a lot as a group. All the guys brought a lot to the table and contributed. The state championship was great and I’m just happy we could finally bring one back to Roose.”

And bring one back they did.