The Perfect Presidential Candidate

Drawings of students’ perfect presidential candidate

Clara Janzen, Ngozi Aghanya, and Esther Tanyi

A discussion of the 2016 election race yields similar answers and emotions; Donald is sensationalistic, xenophobic, and worshipped; Jeb is well-funded but as low-energy as a Tesla; the internationally-experienced Hillary reeks of scandals; Bernie the Socialist could never claim swing voters… It’s a beat of repeated sentiments to an underlying tune of frustration. Who, then – or rather what – would the perfect presidential candidate be?

In designing and describing such a figure, ERHS students exhibited a heavy liberal slant with an emphasis on bipartisanship, consistency, and connection with the American people.

“My idea of a perfect presidential candidate is someone who can talk to the people, who can make them feel like something is happening, a change is happening; a positive reform,” said junior Sirak Dagmawi. “And not just someone who can speak, but somebody who can take actions unto reforms.”

“The perfect president wouldn’t take sides,” said senior Salma Elzaree, explaining her belief in the importance of remaining a “moderate.” Sometimes, she explained, presidents “end up not getting anything done because both sides are trying to make sure that the other side doesn’t get what they want instead of trying to help the country.”

In a related bipartisan manner, fellow senior Aleonna Scott detailed her perfect candidate as a “Republican Obama… someone with Obama’s ideals and vision, but who will work well with the Republican Congress.”

Freshman Maurice Ratiff and sophomore Louis Catacalos each mentioned consistency as an important presidential trait.

Ratiff dubbed Clinton a “very inconsistent candidate,” albeit his favorite out of the options. “She needs to learn how to be a president for the people, not just herself. Every president needs to do that,” stated Ratiff. “When [presidents] redress their grievances, they have to learn to listen in order to learn how to put policies in a political system.”

“You can’t be switching up your stance,” Catacalos said. “You can’t support one thing when it’s popular, and then when it goes out of style, change.”

Catacalos voiced support for Bernie Sanders, as did junior Ivan Perez.

“Socialism is the answer; well communism is the answer, but no one wants to do communism, so socialism is the next best thing,” Perez stated.

He described his ideal candidate as “someone who wants to try and keep peace in the world, someone who tries not to expand the military, but expand other jobs in America, makes sure everyone gets their rights. Someone who’s big on civil rights, social issues. Someone who listens to the people.”

So far Perez does not think any previous presidents of the US have fulfilled all of his listed qualities. “I think some come… very close, but they don’t do everything,” he said. To Perez, Sanders is the most qualified though even he does not fulfill all expectations.

Junior James Blunt described his perfect candidate as “patriotic, somewhat intelligent, and rich: Intelligence for their cause, wealthy enough so they won’t have to steal money, and patriotic enough to know what’s best for the country.”

Students also acknowledged issues such as gay rights, abortion, climate change, and the economy, adding to the wide spectrum of hot-button issues mentioned by students.

“Climate change needs to be addressed, and Al Gore was on top of addressing it,” said senior Tony Pham, referring to the former Vice President of the Clinton presidency. Pham stated that Al Gore would be his perfect president.

Junior Anthony Holmes said he wants “someone who would try to even out the distribution of wealth, so we don’t have people in the country who are super rich, and then… have people who can’t even afford internships so that they can get the jobs that they want.” The perfect president “should try to go for equality,” he added.

“I don’t want the Republicans to win because if they put the Republicans in the Supreme Court… they’re gonna get rid of gay rights and abortions,” stated Holmes.

Junior Noralhuda Al-yasiri said she wanted “a president that cares about the economy and does his/her best to improve it.”