PGCPS has to Accommodate to Snowzilla

Noah Waldron, Managing Editor

On Friday, Jan 22, Maryland state governor Larry Hogan issued an executive order declaring Maryland in a State of Emergency, which would not officially end until a week later on Jan 29. For students this meant six days off of school including the closing on Thursday , Jan 20, and seven days off for teachers, as that Friday was supposed to be a professional development day.

Unfortunately for guidance counselors and students in grades 9, 10, and 11, the snow did not push back course request deadlines. Guidance counselor Mr. David Heintzelman firmly stated that “every student must be registered before spring break.”

Each year during the course selection process, classes go to guidance and each student sits down with their individual counselor to talk about the courses they plan to take next year. But because of the snow, guidance is “going to have to really streamline the process,” as Mr. Heintzelman put it, furthering that “[they’re] not going to give every student as much attention as if we had that extra week.” Despite the fun brought from the closings, the immovable deadlines are sure to “increase stress levels for faculty and students,” Mr. Heintzelman concluded.

Curriculums and lesson plans had consequences from being pushed back, as well. Ms. Allison Galloway, an HSA Biology teacher, has to get through the entirety of her course because passing the HSAs is required by the state. Ms. Galloway is now “going faster to cover everything,” but is confident in her pace.

However, this could be a letdown for students as Ms. Galloway said that she “may have to cut down on fun things.”

“We have to get through the curriculum,” she finished.

From an administrative standpoint, the schedule is in the process of being reworked and reorganized so that no team or organization had to cancel events without a reschedule. Principal Mr. Reginald McNeill said the main goal right now is “trying to get everyone to work together to have some flexibility.”

When asked about petitioning to the state about some of the days off, Mr. McNeill explained how he has no say in those decisions. “The superintendent of the schools would have to make that request,” Mr. McNeill said.

Before the snow hit, the last two days of school, June 13 and 14, had been half days, but because of the snow, the length of those finishing school days is undetermined. “The superintendent can make those decisions if there are going to be additional half days,” said Mr. McNeill.

As of right now, students lost Feb 12 to the snow, which had initially been a day off for professional development. But to the delight of faculty and staff, spring break has not been touched.