The Dangers of Trump

Rebecca Aguilar, Staff Writer

Donald Trump, the leading Republican presidential candidate, has disturbing thoughts on education, immigration, foreign policy, and  trade deals.

Trump has said things like “the U.S. needs to build a wall across its border with Mexico,” and, even more disturbingly, he has said of the Mexican immigrants that “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

The United States is a country founded by immigrants, yet it is allowing a man making racist, xenophobic and degrading remarks such as these to lead the presidential race.

People from many other countries run to the US for the chance to escape poverty and receive economic opportunities. They should not be discriminated against by a man who should be trying to help everyone in this country. Trump believes that these immigrants are taking jobs from American people. These immigrants come here with nothing, they start with nothing, and work jobs that most people don’t want. They often take jobs that put them in danger and in positions where they can easily be taken advantage of — there are often cases of undocumented workers being abused sexually, physically, and economically.

“The Mexican government has taken the United States to the cleaners,” Trump said. “They are responsible for this problem, and they must help pay to clean it up. We will not be taken advantage of anymore.” Trump’s beliefs are dangerous in the way that he demands power and authority even from other countries besides his own.

Donald Trump supports extending legal status to foreign students who are at the top of their class at American universities in fields critical to economic growth, but does not extend the same invitation to other immigrants that would contribute to the economy and society in an equally positive way. 

He has also that the Muslims citizens should wear special Identification cards to single them out from the rest of the American people. This idea is similar to the ideas of Hitler when he had Jewish citizens wear The Star of David as an identifier of their religion to single them out as well. Do we really live in a country where, without being facetious, the leading GOP candidate can be compared to Adolf Hitler?