Musical Groups Perform in Autumn Concert

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Chamber Orchestra, Concert Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and Women’s and Men’s Choir all performed on Friday Nov. 6, staging their musical skills in the Fall Music Concert.

Before the concert, the auditorium, where the concert took place, was full of parents, students, teachers and spectators awaiting the performance. The musicians and singers prepared themselves by adjusting their instruments and practicing their music.

“I go in [the band room], take my instrument, then play a scale in the same key as the pieces we are playing,” said senior Rosetta Irons, Assistant Concertmaster of the Chamber Orchestra, on her routine before the concert. Senior Kwesi Billups, a member of Men’s Chorus, said that he always carries water “to stay hydrated” before concerts, and also does “vocal warm-ups.” Women’s Choir “usually [goes] through rehearsal and seating arrangements,” said student Cameron Anderson, Women’s Chorus Alto member, while Men’s Chorus member Jelani Weathers-Baker said that he sings the songs to himself before the concert.

Concert Orchestra violist Joy Modozie said that she preferred concentrating as her means of preparation. “I just like to stay in a quiet place by myself meditating,” Modozie said.

Jessica Martin, clarinet player for Concert Band, said, “normally I just go after school with my friends to have fun.”

Oboe Soloist Joshua Faison, musician for Wind Ensemble and participant of Pep Band, takes a different approach on getting ready for a show. “I try to calm down, calm any anxieties. My feelings depends on; if I do well I feel happy, if not I don’t feel well,” said Faison.

Concert Orchestra opened the show performing Lights on Water by M.L. Daniels and Yorkshire Ballad by James Barnes. Next in line came Chamber Orchestra performing Serenade for Strings by Robert Washburn. Both orchestras were directed by orchestra conductor Mr. David Yarbrough.

Later on came Ms. Michele Fowlin, who led the Women’s and Men’s ensembles. Women’s Choir sung Exaudi! Laudate! by Beverly A. Patton, while the Men’s Choir sang The Beggar’s Song arranged by Dave and Jean Perry.

At the end, the Concert Band played JOY! by Frank Ticheli, and Wind Ensemble played On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss by David Holsinger and Bacchanale by Saint-Saens arranged by Bocook. Band Director Ms. Rachel Zephir conducted the Band and Wind Ensemble.

After the concert, performers expressed satisfaction and contentment.

“I’m glad I did a good job,” said Weathers-Baker.

Modozie asserted, “I feel I’ve achieved something, I feel happy and complete.”