Boys soccer team becomes county champions

Photo courtesy of the Rosenberg family

The boy’s team celebrates with their trophy after winning the County Championship

Rebecca Aguilar, Staff Writer

On Monday October 26, the Raiders took home the trophy, winning the boys soccer county championship title against Duval High school with a final score of 5-0.

Members of the boys soccer team said they were  proud of their hard work.

Senior Midfielder Isaiah Walcott said “we clicked well together and even when we were a little off we knew we had to work harder together as a team and that’s how we refused to be beat. As our coaches call us we are “relentless.” He continued, “also I love those kids so anytime I would need to cover for one of them I would”

Players said they still have a couple of things to work on. Senior Goalie Liam Greaves said that the team has been “tweaking and honing a few things in practice that will hopefully take our play to the next level”

As it gets further down the road in playoffs, Greaves jokes saying they have “many prized secrets in store” he continued “but I will say that all season Coach Kallas said that we are a team with potential to make it all the way to states. As a result he has been training us with that goal in mind”

Senior Midfielder Jonathan Romero, one of whom made a goal in the big game against Duval says “it feels great to score, especially since I haven’t scored ever since the Bowie game”

All of the players said they agree that it feels great to win such a big game in their senior year. Walcott said “it always feels great to win a game but even better when there is silverware on the line, so as you can imagine we were all very ecstatic when we heard the final whistle blow and we knew we were county champs.”

Greaves said “It’s been an honor to work with Coach Kallas, Coach John and Coach Mast over the past few years.” He continued that he is “happy that we can properly showcase the fruits of all our collective labor, I couldn’t think of a better group of teammates to share this success with and I know we’re all out there fighting for each other” he went on “now is the time to level our heads and face each game as its own challenge so that we can reach our goal of the state championship”

The team competes in the regional quarter finals on Tuesday, November 3 against the winner of the Flowers vs. Suitland game on October 30.