Boys Soccer: Kicking Competition Out Of The Way

Darius Barnes, Staff Writer

If there is one word to describe the Eleanor Roosevelt Varsity Boys soccer team’s season so far, it would be dominance. 

The varsity boys scorched the league in the regular season, boasting an impressive record of 11-1-2. They have been racking up wins, only losing one time with a score or 3-2 in a non-conference game against Arundel. The two draws came against  Northwestern and Parkdale, the scores being 2-2 and 3-3 respectively.

The Raiders also have been holding it down at home, where they are undefeated with a record of 4-0-2 and on the road they are an impressive 7-1.

The key to their success is “hardwork and dedication,” said senior striker/midfielder Roshawn Panton. “I feel like we’re playing well,” stated Panton, adding that he believes the way to maintain the team’s success through the end of the season is to “keep our game up and play hard.”

The Raiders also won the PG county championship game against Duval 5-0. Now they are on to the regional playoffs, where they had a first round bye. The team will face Flowers in the second round. They hope to continue their regular season success into the postseason.

Sophomore striker and leading goal scorer Baxter Hamilton said, “I believe we have a solid team and expect to go far in the playoffs.” He also added that “anything less than a state championship would be a disappointment to me and probably the whole team.”

As for the JV team, things have been moving smoothly. They are 5-3 and look to finish the season on a strong note.

Noah Stewart, a freshman sweeper for the Raiders JV team, said the best formula for winning is “better passing, doing better spacing on the field, and passing out wide.”

They have three back to back to back games left in the season. One against their rivals, the Bowie Bulldogs, on Monday, then the Charles H. Flowers Jaguars on Tuesday and the International School at Largo on Wednesday.