Wearing Pink This Month

Ngozi Aghanya

Junior Varsity Volleyball Girls Team

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Eleanor Roosevelt High School supported Breast Cancer Awareness Month to raise the knowledge of students about breast cancer, to help them realize ways breast cancer is caused and how they can individually avert it.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an international health campaign organized by breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause and prevention, openly shared by the National Breast Cancer Foundations, INC.

The Eleanor Roosevelt High School S.A.D.D Club showed their participation by demonstrating a stand for breast cancer awareness month, displaying posters, handing out breast cancer fact cards, and pink ribbons to the students.

Ms. Joanne Read, S.A.D.D Club Adviser since 2002, sees breast cancer as a serious matter for she herself is a breast cancer survivor. “I am a survivor and I try to help to promote breast cancer by wearing custom pink T-shirt myself, to make sure people are doing their [mammograms]”, she said.

“The [survivors] can help people not to feel that they’re not gonna make it because it shows you can survive it,” said Evelin Santos, a S.A.D.D Club member. Evelin perceives breast cancer survivors as a sign of hope toward men and women who struggle with breast cancer and to future patients.

Breast cancer is a sensitive topic to touch. “Because so many people been affected by it especially family and friends, [Breast Cancer Awareness Month] wants to make people aware,” said Ms. Read. Rebecca Ajiboye, International Club and TLC member gave her definition of breast cancer, “It’s a malignant tumor in the breast and can be find in male and female.” Rebecca said that she believes breast cancer is one of the top five deadliest cancers you can have.

According to medical researchers, the sooner you catch the disease from spreading, the better the process will go. Ms. Read said, “the main thing is to get early detection, MRI scan, CT scan, and Mammography exams are very important and very effective.” Vivian Nguyen, member of Social Justice Club and Korean Club considers breast cancer a disease that ties all Americans together in fighting. “Breast cancer is a very important thing and a lot of people died, It affects [a multitude] of people in America,” she said.Ms. Read said that, “There is no concrete evidence of how [breast cancer] is caused,” implicating the seriousness of the situation. “We still have yet to find a cure for it,” Rebecca added to reassure optimism.

Jointly, people can prevent the loss of another life and someone experiencing a life-long pain from breast cancer. “Participating in the campaign, supporting the campaign, [and] continuing to do events at the schools, informs the children, so they can pass it to other family members so on,” said Rebecca. Wearing pink is the key of spreading insight.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School Breast Cancer Awareness Poster
Ngozi Aghanya
Breast cancer survivors list
Ngozi Aghanya
Breast cancer survivors list
Students Jessica Martin & Morgan Tweedy
Ngozi Aghanya
Students Jessica Martin & Morgan Tweedy
Student Mkpu Gabriel
Ngozi Aghanya
Student Mkpu Gabriel
Student Ja-al Harrison
Ngozi Aghanya
Student Ja-al Harrison
Junior Varsity Volleyball Girls Team
Ngozi Aghanya
Junior Varsity Volleyball Girls Team
Librarian Ms. Peterson, next to her bulletin board she created
Ngozi Aghanya

S.A.D.D Club, Breast Cancer Awareness Items

Ngozi Aghanya