Art Club Creates Halloween Masks

Ngozi Aghanya, Staff Writer

Oct. 31, Halloween is approaching. Every Thursday after school,  Eleanor Roosevelt’s Art Club members are creating Halloween masks for enjoyment and celebration.

Art Club sponsor, Ms. Kelly Holland, gave an explanation of their project saying, “they wanted to make masks like the ones Ms. Becky Rounds [has] in her class.” Ms. Holland explained that members of the club thought that mimicking the masks would be a festive Halloween project. According to Ms. Rounds, another Eleanor Roosevelt high school art teacher, the masks that are in her class are not Halloween masks, however, they’re old pieces created by past graduates.

Keigan Thornton, Co-President of the Art Club, when describing the experience of making masks last year, said she “found making masks interesting,” going on to explain how the experience helps “introduce [the newer members] to art.”

The masks are created by using plaster craft and cardboard for the base, said Thornton. Strips of papier-mâché and paint are included to shape the form of the design, added Ms. Holland.

The Halloween masks are an example of how the Art Club gives its members the freedom to pursue creative project ideas. “It’s about having fun,” said Thornton.