Fall Spirit Week Wrap Up

Amrita Ahuja, Student Life Editor

An annual ERHS tradition, fall spirit week took place from September 28th-October 1st. Despite spirit week being four days rather than the typical five days, students were still enthusiastic about displaying their school spirit throughout the theme days, hallway decorating, and pep rally.

Disney Day kicked off the start of spirit week. From princes and princesses to mickey mouse and Simba, this day featured students dressed as a variety of their favorite Disney characters. Junior Rokhaya Niang, who dressed as Suga Mama from The Proud Family, said she looks forward to spirit week every year and “dressing up and seeing other people’s costumes too.”

Crazy day, Decade’s day, and class color day followed in the days after. Crazy day seemed to be many students’ favorite spirit week day. Niang dressed as her AP Physics 1 and 2 teacher, Mrs.Twu, and explained that crazy day was her favorite day because “there are very few guidelines so more people participate.”

Senior Kat Yangilmau said she really looked forward for decade’s day and came in wearing a maxi dress, sandals, and topped it off with a flower crown to depict 1970’s fashion. “It was really interesting to see people dress up in different types of retro-style clothing,” said Yangilmau.

The freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior classes all worked diligently on Wednesday evening to decorate their assigned decade themed hallways for the annual competition.

The results were as followed:

4th place: Freshmen

3rd place: Sophomores

2nd place: Seniors

1st place: Juniors

Although the seniors did not win first place in the hallway decorating competition, they did have a lot of fun planning and decorating it together. Senior and class Vice President, Kwesi Billups explained that it was not an easy task to decorate an entire hallway in one evening. “Brainstorming all the elements of the 70’s that we wanted to incorporate was very important for figuring out exactly what we needed to build and the materials needed.” Billups continued, explaining how they decided what to build and decorate and stated that overall “I am really proud of the work we got done.”

Sophomore Hannah Uche participated in helping her class decorate their 1920’s themed hallway and explained that they “set up chairs, tables, records playing, and a car with christmas lights to reenact the party scene from The Great Gatsby.” Uche commended the junior and seniors’ hallways decorations, saying that “they deserved winning first and second but I am proud with our decoration too.”

The school week ended in a pep rally, which was a big hit, as always. All four classes chanted and cheered to show their class spirit as the rally showcased performances from the Desi Dance Team, Afro-Sync Dancer’s, Junior Varsity and Varsity Cheerleading Teams, Dem Raider Boyz Step Team and many other ERHS clubs.

Typically spirit week extends into the weekend with the homecoming football game, parade, and dance. However, this year all three events have been postponed to October 17th due to inclement weather.