Do we really need ID badges?

Kendary Cuberopaulino

IDs of various ERHS students

Esther Tanyi, Staff Writer

Do we really need ID badges?

I believe that we do for security purposes, but I talked to some other students to get their own opinions. When asked this question, many students immediately said “no” without hesitation.

Senior Signate Maissa commented and said “it’s unnecessary to have it on at all time”. Senior Assiatu Bantama and Freshman Luke Hanno agreed with her and said “it’s annoying”.

I also feel that the punishment is too harsh. Trash duty is OK, but suspension is going too far. I bet you’ve seen me around the building many times to recognize that I go here. Some students also said they had issues with punishments for not having an ID.

Signate said “trash duty is fine, but calling of one’s parent and suspension is going too far” for a punishment if students are not found with their IDs on. Senior Jennifer Douglas added “the punishment does not fit the offense.”

Signate continued and said the price is “too expensive for a one sided ID.” Bantama agreed and said “low income families can’t afford a $7 ID badge” every time a student loses their ID.

Senior Garry Harris said “it’s too much money, bring the price down”. Signate went on, “administrators should be more lenient to students because we’re forgetful”.  It would be easier to “issue two IDs for $7 because chances are, we’re going to forget” Hanno said.

I also talked to administrator Ms. Arnita Dew about the policy. She explained that the requirement is in place for security reasons.

Ms. Dew explained that “there’s no other way to do a visual ID of a person. It’s required for security issues for any State and Federal building so they are required in our school because if there’s a problem we can quickly to identify anyone that was involved” she said. It’s easier to identify you as a student if your “ID badge is worn around your neck” she said. The scan bar is a good way to identify students, but “we cannot identify 25 tons of students in a quick manner in that way” she concluded.

I agree with Ms. Dew that the security purposes make sense – we don’t want to take our chances with safety.

However, I agree with students that the price is too high and the punishments are too harsh. Staff members should be more lenient to students because we are indeed forgetful.

IDs should be necessary in the library, computer lab and cafeteria as they already are, but anywhere other than that shouldn’t be as important.

I do agree that it is an easy and quick way to visually identify a person, but I believe it shouldn’t be necessary to wear it around our necks. It should be with us in our wallets and pockets, and if asked for should be shown.

We should be treated like the adults we are preparing to become, and after all adults carry their drivers licenses in their wallets or purses.

A spare ID isn’t a bad idea, and perhaps we could bring down the price.

ID batches are necessary for security purposes. Yes, the price is too high and yes, the punishment is harsh, but do we really need ID badges?

I believe that yes, yes we do.