TV Show Review: Scream Queens

Jethro Punzalan, Staff Writer

scream-queens-promotional-poster-banner
Tv banner for Scream Queens courtesy of www.instinctmagazine.com

From the producers of Glee and American Horror Story comes the new Horror Comedy Scream Queens, which features elements of both. The plot revolves around Kappa Kappa Tao, a sorority in the fictional Wallace University, and a rampant serial killer dressed as a red devil that is targeting all the sisters and the pledges after a series of events. It is very Pretty Little Liars-esque, where no one knows who the killer is, and everyone is a potential suspect. To further add to its appeal, the cast features a slew of familiar faces, including Emma Roberts, Keke Palmer, Ariana Grande, and Nick Jonas.

The pilot episode starts in 1995 at a Kappa Kappa Tao party. Everything, from the hair and outfits to even TLC’s “Waterfalls” as the party music is distinctly ’90s. While it may all seem like your typical sorority party downstairs, the same can’t be said for what’s happening in the rest of the house. It wastes no time in giving the show a mysterious, thrilling vibe, as one of the sorority girls descends from the stairs with blood-stained hands. The rest of the sorority girls go up and find that one of their pledges has given birth in the bathtub. The girls ignore the emergency as they find it gross and continue to party. However, when they return, they find that the pledge has bled out and died while one of the other girls is holding the motherless baby. This horrifies the girls as the episode cuts to the present day, where the central plot occurs.

Overall, I find that the show is very well-done in the areas where it matters. Its attempt to provide a thrilling horror experience with gruesome murders (although American Horror Story does murder scenes better justice) while still providing enough comedy to balance it out succeeds. However, just like Glee, many of the stereotypes are exaggerated to unrealistic levels. The queen bee, Chanel, who is President of Kappa Kappa Tao’s WU chapter is of course, self-centered and thinks that the world revolves around her. Her boyfriend Chad is essentially a carbon copy of herself. While trying to achieve popularity might be a normal thing in high school movies and TV shows, it looks completely ridiculous and out of place in a show that is set in college.

There are also some instances of racism and homophobia, especially with Chanel and her minions (appropriately named Chanel #2, Chanel #3, etc.). In one scene, Chanel calls Kappa House’s maid, Ms. Bean, “white Mammy” and in another scene, when the topic of allowing a gay man to join their sorority comes up, Chanel’s minions take offense to this. Not to mention the intentional ‘corny’ aspect that added to the comedic relief.

All in all, if you’re aware that this show is not meant to be realistic and take it in for its entertainment value, you’ll find that there’s a lot to like. Scream Queens is definitely a show to tune into this fall.

Catch Scream Queens on FOX every Tuesday at 9/8 Central!